Sunday, May 31, 2015

A Lazy Sunday Geocaching in Dupont Circle

Today I ventured over to Dupont Circle with every intent of geocaching. I first stopped by Dupont Circle's weekly FRESHFARM Market, where I enjoyed a roasted strawberry (!)-flavored push pop on this very humid day.

My first caching attempt of the day was a trip to the Anderson House cache on Massachusetts Ave. I took a quick peak at the place where I originally discovered the cache last summer (Anderson House cacheand didn't see it, but before I was able to poke around any further, I noticed a large tour group of muggles just outside the Anderson House so I retreated back to the circle.

Next, after stopping at one of the area's many Starbucks for a frappuccino, I stopped by a cache at the St. Thomas' Parish Park to try and discover a cache that stumped me twice last year, due I believe to a combination of a stealthy cache and high muggle presence. Unfortunately today was no exception. Though I spent a little time in one of the two areas where I believe the cache must be placed, I noticed a muggle laying in a hammock just beside the second location I was hoping to check.

On the way back to the Dupont Circle Metro I walked past the Indonesian Embassy - it was as if the mothership was calling me over (I spent over 7 years in the forests of Indonesia: Field Blog). I clearly remember once running in my flip flops from the Dupont Circle Metro to the Indonesian Embassy within minutes of it closing after hearing at the very last minute (day before my flight!) that my research visa was ready to pick up.

One day I must figure out what this interesting sign near the Dupont Circle Metro actually refers to (is there, in fact, a very special art gallery down the street?!):

Once back in my neighborhood I visited for a second time the PandaMania - Woodley Park (first visit: PandaMania-WP). I thought I found the right spot, but the area was overrun with muggles.
Update 6/6/15: I checked back a few days later and this time looked inside all of the news stands, but couldn't find a cache. The last log entry also indicates a DNF--hope the cache is still active!


No comments:

Post a Comment