Sunday, June 21, 2015

Recent Disappointing but Interesting DNFs

This weekend I attempted to do some geocaching, alas to little avail. That said, part of the fun of geocaching is simply to get outside and explore new and interesting areas.

"Merry Chris-mas"
GC42ZVN by derecho3
Location: Arlington, VA (at border of Falls Church and Arlington)
Cache Type: Traditional

My frequent geocaching partner mother and I first walked from my parents' house in Falls Church to the Merry Chris-mas cache, located right at the border of Falls Church and Arlington, VA. Recent logs said that the coordinates are not very accurate and after about 20-30 minutes of looking all over the area, we finally gave up. Not a particularly interesting location, so we were especially frustrated not to find this cache to check off the list.

"Hangman's Tree II"
GC5KF2E by exmachina
Location: Falls Church, VA 
Cache Type: Traditional

My mother and I then walked back into Falls Church to visit the Hangman's Tree II cache, located somewhere in the vicinity of this stone, which marked the location of a tree used by confederate soldiers to hang union spies that has since been cut down:

Next my mother and I revisited A Little Light Reading cache before stopping by the nearby Starbucks and walking back home for the day. I retrieved a trackable here so will write a separate post about this visit.

"DC Hidden Murals #10: Mama Ayesha's"
GC393A2 by exmachina
Location: Washington, DC (near Adams Morgan) 
Cache Type: Traditional

After yesterday's I was determined to find a new cache so I visited the DC Hidden Murals #10: Mama Ayesha's cache site located just off Calvert Street on the way to Adams Morgan if walking from Woodley Park. Sadly, a guy who works at the restaurant on whose wall the mural is painted was coming in and out of the restaurant to his car, which I am fairly certain was parked just next to the cache site. There is also a very active dog park and there was one man at the park with his dog who kept looking strangely at me, so I finally gave up for the day. Here are two photos I took, one of the mural and the other of the mural from a distance, the dog park to the left:



No comments:

Post a Comment